Wendy in true reporter style has emailed all her friends roughly every week of her year away and has amassed a round of stories and pictures which have the making of an excellent book / blog. She may have to edit however to protect the innocent or not so innocent depending on what was happening at the time.
As I browse through here are some snippets:
- people in authority not making decisions - I did wonder why she thought it might be different but heh-ho! bureaucracy gets everywhere.
- learning Khami - or not
- silk farms set up to train and educate local women and children
- visits to Phnom Penh to eat junk food and shop
- surviving the 'durian' season. Some of you might know that this fruit stinks but tastes very good - I could never get it past my nose.
- the transport of pigs upside down, tied to the back of a moto. The transport of dead animals being illegal.
- being ill - well all that junk food must have surprised a tummy getting used to rice for breakfast dinner and tea.
- an inordinately wet - wet season - worst since 2001.
- difficult getting used to peddling hard to keep your momentum on the bike to get through the water and a brilliant work out - which I'll take her word for
- senior management meeting cancelled because of seaside workshop. Managers get paid extra to attend workshops so of course the seaside is more appealing
- management deciding to reduce the bonus of people who don’t attend work when they should
- attending 3 day wedding celebrations
- and very much more .........